Saturday, July 23, 2011

30 Days Post Op (Lemon Juice and Pain)

Hi all! I'm actually feeling great as of yesterday. I think I figured out why I was having the pain under my ribs on my left side. And NO, it wasn't gas! See, the doctor's office doesn't know everything. After I started soft foods, I went to my old fall back which I love...packaged tuna and lemon juice. So, when I started having the pain that came out of no where, I just couldn't figure out what was going on. About 3 days ago, I went all day eating other things besides tuna...then in the evening I had my tuna and lemon juice and low and behold, I started having the pain again. It hit me! The lemon is highly acidic. DUH! I just wasn't thinking. Here I am taking an acid reducer every day and then I'm turning around and feeling my delicate little tummy full of acid. No wonder it was hurting! So I haven't had any lemon juice since then and guess what, I haven't had any pain at all. Mystery solved!

2 comments:

  1. What kind of acid reducer are you on? My surgeon prescribed Zegerid powder but I'm having trouble finding a pharmacy that carries it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee Ann! I was prescribed Nexium granules. You mix one packet with one teaspoon of water and let it sit for 2-4 minutes. It turns into this jellied textured stuff that looks like snot...lol...I know, very gross. I can't handle it. So after it gels up, I mix it with grape juice to cover up the texture. It works.

    As far as helping with acid, I haven't had any problems at all with reflux, heartburn, etc. I, now, only have 3 days worth left. Being that it cost $60 with insurance for a 30 day supply, I don't want to go that route if I don't have to. The doc's office said that I could now take over the counter Pepcid AC Complete Chewables...I think 2 a day. So I will start those this coming week. I hope they work as well as the Nexium. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete