Friday, July 8, 2011

Surgery and Hospital Stay (Part 3-Waking up)

Waking up! It was so weird! All I remember is the pain. It was awful! I remember saying, "It hurts! It hurts!" Then, "Help me! Help me!" And a lady's voice replying to me that they were working on getting me something really quick. Then again ....not sure how much time had elapsed....she replies, "Ma'am, please quieten down...there are others in here!" I remember thinking..."so what, I'm hurting!" She was nice and I think she was just trying to calm me down. Or maybe she was just frustrated with me. I'm sure her job is not easy. I woke up at one point and she was sitting between myself and a man in another bed. He was talking to her but I don't remember what he said. I think we were both crying at the same time. lol She was probably overwhelmed.

So, I got to the hospital at 5:30 a.m. Surgery was at 7:30 a.m. It took 2 hours. They also found a large hiatal hernia and repaired it. I did not leave recovery until around 4 p.m. I know....crazy! I was still out of it but I remember her telling me that they were still waiting on a room. My hubby was worried and told them that since I was back there for so long that they needed to allow him to come back and see me. They don't normally allow anyone into the recovery area but this time they made an exception. I barely remember seeing my husband. I was well drugged up!

When it was time, they wheeled me to my room. The ride there...as far as I can remember was fine but when we got to the room, the person pushing the bed had a really hard time getting my bed in the room. I'm not sure if it was a man or a woman but they rammed by bed into the door several times. I do remember that but I don't remember being in any pain. Later, my husband told me that he was really getting quite aggravated with them. Now that a few weeks have passed and we received our survey from the hospital, he wants me to make sure to comment on how they run the beds into walls and doors. lol That they need proper training. I think if I hadn't been so well drugged, I probably would have been pretty upset myself but I could have cared less and barely noticed at the time.

After I got through the door, I saw my hubby, my mom, my grandma, and my brother. I remember how worried they looked. But I wasn't to concerned because there was no one there that I didn't tell I was having this surgery. I know that doesn't make much sense. I'll try to explain! I have always had a fear of waking up in the hospital surrounded by lots of people singing, crying, and praying! I told my mom a few weeks before that if that happened, I'd know I was dying and would probably go into a panic that would end everything real quick. lol I know it sounds funny...she even laughed... but what does everyone do when one is in grave condition in the hospital? They call all the others and they all come to your bedside to pray and possibly say their last goodbyes.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment