Friday, July 15, 2011

22 Days Post Op

Wow! What a difference a week or so makes. I feel so much better today than I did yesterday. And I felt better yesterday than I did the day before. Well, you get the point! Ha! Just a couple of weeks ago, I was standing in my room crying and asking my husband if I'd ever feel better. I'm so glad to say that that terrible feeling passed! Let that stand as some encouragement for anyone that's in that phase of this surgery. It's temporary! You will feel better! Just continue to rest, walk, drink lots of water (well, as much as you can), get in your protein (even when you don't want to), and sip on some apple juice (it always seemed to make me feel a little better...don't know why).

I don't know how much weight I've lost so far. The last check was on July 11 and I had lost 32 pounds since pre-op started. I'm happy about that but can't wait until I feel like I can really focus on the weight loss. Right now, I'm still just trying to get my protein and liquids in. Also, I started soft foods and I never thought it would be so hard. I can't get more than 2 ounces of soft foods in at one time. Not to mention the fact that food does not taste the same to me. I'm soooo not interested in it. I really like that food is not an obsession anymore but I hope I find some enjoyment in some foods in the future. I feel like I could easily not eat anything.... I wouldn't do that because I want to stay healthy. I really thought that by now, I would be down to drinking only one protein shake a day and getting the rest of my protein from food. Ha! This is definitely a process and a challenge. I never thought I'd have this problem. I'm sure that this is just really hard to get used to and as time goes by, I will be reporting on how much I love food again and that I'm down to one or no protein shakes.

The only problems that I'm having now are the pain in my left side, still don't have all my energy back yet, and feeling yucky in the mornings. The pain in my left side that is right above the incision where they took my stomach out, it doesn't hurt all the time but it seems like when I bend, twist, or am trying to get in the truck, it pulls. I get this real sharp, burning pain. It's almost as if it's trying to pull apart. The doctor's office says that this is perfectly normal. I don't care to take any more pain medicine because it makes me sleepy and draggy. Also, I wouldn't be able to drive. I know I can take liquid Tylenol but I don't want to drink anything that will taste bad. I know it sounds silly but after all the liquid that has past over my tongue in the last 3 1/2 weeks...no thank you! lol If it got bad enough, I would take something.

I have a lot of energy back but I still have a ways to go. I can't handle the heat outside at all! Then  just doing things that are inside, like laundry, cooking, dishes....I can do a little, then I'm ready to take a nap. Last night, I made a chicken, cheese, and rice casserole for my husband and son...after that, I had to rest in the recliner. lol That makes me feel horrible that I can't muster up enough energy to get through the day without a nap. I have never been a big nap person. For at least the last 3-4 weeks, I have taken more naps than I have in my entire life, I think! This will soon pass, too. It's not too bad but I feel guilty because it is during the summer and my son is stuck with me all day. I did tell him though that in about 3 weeks I would take him swimming. That's when I will be released to swim, bathe in a bathtub, etc.....not just showers! He's excited about that but it seems like a long time.

Mornings! Oh my, I almost feel sick in the mornings. That's not good because my normal routine is to hit the floor running. I normally get up in the morning during the week,  feed and take out the dog, start the coffee, fix lunch, and breakfast for my husband so he can run out the door. For some reason, I am sooooo weak when I wake up. I don't know if it's just the fact that I don't get many calories during the day and then I go all night without anything. Or if it's that I'm dehydrated. I just don't know! The first thing I do after I let the dog out is start drinking 4 oz. of apple juice. It seems to help me feel a little better. I'm hoping this rotten feeling in the mornings will pass too. Anyone know? Anyone else have this problem?

I'm still very happy that I had this surgery and yes, I would do it again in a heart beat. My clothes are getting really lose but I'm still not down to the next size. That's okay though! It will come off. My husband called me baggy britches last night. I didn't know what to say....that felt so awesome to hear those words.

2 comments:

  1. Oh believe me it will get better. I was just thinking the other night how much time has flown since my surgery. In the midst of it, it feels like an eternity, but don't lose heart because it gets really fantastic at about 2 months out. My energy level soared and was able to eat a few more different things. Hang in there! You are doing great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I needed to hear that. I feel like I'm having to relearn everything about eating...WHAT?...well, I guess I am relearning everything. lol I really needed your encouragement. I can't wait to have energy and feel normal again.

    ReplyDelete