Friday, July 8, 2011

Home Sweet Home

It's been 15 days now since my surgery and I feel better than ever. My tummy is still a bit tender and there's an area on my left side that seems to burn inside when I move around but it's not too bad. I stopped taking my nausea and pain medications as of 4 days ago. I've done fine. Yesterday was my first day back behind the wheel and it felt so good.

Now, the last 2 weeks have been full of pain, frustration, depression, and NO energy what so ever. It was really hard! There were days that I felt so zapped of energy that I would just cry. I felt sick and like I would never get past this. It is really amazing that no matter how you try to prepare yourself for something, no matter how much you read, and no matter how many people you talk to ... no one or nothing can prepare you for the emotional battle you are about to go through. Even though I knew what to expect and that it was short term, being in the mist of it all, I couldn't see the light. I asked my husband several times if things would ever get better...as I had tears coming down my face. Of course, he always reassured me and reminded me of how far I had come.  

I think also, the constant flow of liquid and protein throughout the day made life feel really grave. And at the end of the day, I still hadn't gotten enough protein and had only managed to get in 15 to 20 ounces of fluid. No easy task either!

After, around day 8, I could tell my stomach wasn't as swollen. Drinking was becoming a little easier but I still wasn't getting a lot down. It was still very daunting!

With every day that has pasted, it has gotten a little easier! I don't feel gloomy anymore and am starting to get excited about my future. Before the last couple of days, all I could do and think about was doing what it took to survive and thrive. I really could have cared less about losing weight. Now, though, it's still not easy but is easier and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm looking forward to getting to were I can focus on weight loss. I have a little less than a week and I will start my mushy food stage. YaY! I need something solid in my mouth. 
I want to say that I am so thankful that I had this surgery done. In the last 2 weeks, I had buyer's remorse. I wondered why in the world I did something so stupid. But now, I'm starting to feel more like myself, my energy is coming back, and I'm ready AND I'M HAPPY! So if you are just in the beginnings of all of this, please be encouraged that it does get better. I know that I am still recovering but better times are right in front of me.....and that is so for you, too!

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful journey you have had, I am
    scheduled to have my surgery on the 7th September
    and I am excited but nervous all at the same time.
    I am dreading throwing up - I am so brave - NOT but at least I can see there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    - Roslyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roslyn! You will be okay. The only time I got sick was when the nausea medicine wore off. Just make sure you have someone there with you to keep on top of the nurses. Just remember that the first 2-3 weeks after surgery seem to be the hardest...emotions flying, eating (drinking) changes, no energy. Just remember that it does get better and the energy does come back. I'm so excited for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers! September isn't far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your encouragement, I am sure God will get me through this, he would want me to have a better and healthier life after all!!!!
    I am ready for the emotional journey, living alone I will be able to rant, rave and cry all I need to. I will definately let you know how I go. You are my inspiration of great things to come. - Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Roslyn! You are so sweet! And yes, you will do great. Please keep me up to date on how you are doing. And yes, God definitely wants the best for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I am sorry to read you have had a few little setbacks, the pain would be terrible and I hope you are able to resolve that quickly, as for having pus in your scar that would freak me out too, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to ensure you dont get a bad infection. I will be praying for you, your weight will move eventually so hang in there I know great things are coming!
    - Roslyn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Roslyn! My incisions are actually starting to look better..still a little discharge but hopefully it will work itself out. And I'm not really having the pain as of this morning...hopefully it will stay away. Thanks for your prayers! And that scale of mine just doesn't like me...lol...it seems to be stuck. Hopefully your right and my weight will eventually start going south.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there PenPen,
    I read your latest post about your weight loss and new measurements, it is incredible, I am looking forward to being able to follow in your footsteps, 21 days till my sleeving, I lost 4.2kgs in my first week of shakes, I cant believe how much better I feel, I will be jumping out of my skin with a couple of stone off!
    Keep going, you are my inspiration. God bless you.
    - Roslyn from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roslyn! You are so sweet! I'm sure that you will have a lot of successes yourself (looks like you already are). This is such an exciting journey and it's so much fun to share with the world.

    Wow! So, you've lost a little over 9 lbs., right? That is awesome for your first week! Keep it up and don't forget, too, that after surgery, you still get to count this pre-op weight loss along with what you lose post op. It all counts! Is a stone about 14 pounds? If so, yes, a couple of those gone and you'll be feeling quite awesome! I'm here cheering you on! Go, Roslyn, Go! lol You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi PenPen,
    Yes a pound is equal to 2.2kgs so I have almost lost a stone, probably already is a stone by now.
    It is getting harder now especially when I smell the aromas of cooking, sausage sizzles (sausage in a bread roll) are killers but I have been strong so far and I will keep it that way, thanks for all your encouragement. Are you finding you are getting alot of excess skin, that part of the weight loss journey freaks me out and it is so expensive to have what Australia terms "cosmetic surgery" to remove it all. Keep going Penpen!
    - Roslyn from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Roslyn! Isn't it exciting to drop the weight? Keep up the hard work and don't let those aromas get ya. I know you must be feeling like you'll never have those things again but let me tell you, you will! This is just a very slow, hard process but keep your mind on the goal and don't forget why your doing this.

    Excess skin? No, not yet. I've mostly lost on top and while I've been quite large, my top half has never been the extreme. Now, I will tell you that I have worried about the skin on my legs, particularly where my thighs are. When I was a kid I had stretch marks there and I think as an adult they have been stretched for so long that I just don't know what will happen when the weight really falls off there. I'm hoping that because it will be a gradual, somewhat slow process that it won't just hang there. Time will only tell!

    Keep smiling AND don't give in to those evil aromas! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Penny,
    well you wont believe it, after craving for a BBQ sausage our work is having a sausage sizzle for lunch so I am out of here and going shopping elsewhere:) How frustrating. I am so glad to hear things keep improving for you, I have now lost 9.8kgs and it is slowing down now. This will be the last email I will send before my sleeving operation, cant wait to join the ranks of successful sleevers. God bless you take care, I will email again when I am back at work (dont have a computer at home)
    Roslyn - Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Penny,
    So glad to read how well you are going and how happy you are. This will be the last email I send you until after my surgery, I have lost 9.8kgs so far and it has started to slow down.
    God bless you, keep powering on. I hope this reaches you, I have had heaps of trouble getting it accepted on your blog.
    Roslyn - Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Roslyn! I did get both of your comments. So sorry your having trouble. I had trouble with Google allowing me to post on others' blogs and even on my own. I researched and can't remember why it suggested it but it said to try a different server. So I downloaded Firefox. Now when I pull up any blog, I go through Firefox and I don't have any problems posting comments. I hope that helps.

    You have done awesome on your weight loss. Keep on going! It's so worth it. I'm losing one pound at a time, it seems...then I stall again for a while. Ugh!

    Let me know when you get back from surgery so I'll know you're doing good. I'll be eagerly awaiting! You'll be fine! I'll say a prayer for you and you're in my thoughts! Penny

    ReplyDelete