Friday, September 23, 2011

13 Weeks Post Op (Weekly Weigh In and My Grandmother Needs Prayers)

Hi all! This past week I haven't lost much. I'm now down to 219 lbs. That's a total of 61 pounds lost so far. Not bad! I'm very pleased with that number by the way. I just wish the chunks of weight would fall off again. I had a very sweet friend tell me today that I really need to stop weighing in every single day and just weigh in once a week. I know in a way she's so right but I suppose I'm addicted to that silly scale. I told her I might have to wing myself off it. lol That maybe I would start with just every other day and work my way down to just once a week. I know, doesn't that just sound ridiculous that I can't stop myself. Ha!
Tomorrow I have my 3 month check-up with my surgeon. I think this is when they will run blood test to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Also, please pray for my grandmother. She had a heart attack almost 2 weeks ago. She didn't go to the hospital until 3 days after the heart attack. This, unfortunately, caused some damage to her heart muscle. But the doctors decided to treat it using only medication. They didn't want to talk about surgery yet until they see how she would do.

She went home last Friday to my mom's house. My mom said that by Saturday she could tell that something wasn't right because all she would do was sleep and wouldn't eat anything. Then Monday morning around 10 a.m., my grandmother told my mom to call 911 because she was having another heart attack. This time it was a major heart attack! They rushed her to the hospital...lights and sirens! The doctors inserted a temporary pump into her heart so that her heart wouldn't have to work so hard. They also inserted a temporary balloon in her artery to open it up. That meant that she had to lay flat on her back until they removed it. We also found out that her kidneys were failing because of the dye they had to use at both hospitals. Apparently the dye is fatally poisonous to kidneys that aren't in tiptop shape. But they had to do it so they could see what was going on in her heart. She has been in horrible pain even with the hardcore pain medication. Also, because of all the fluid backing up in her body, she wasn't allowed any food including tube feeding. Tuesday and Wednesday, we really weren't sure she was going to make it through the night. She was very weak and wouldn't hardly respond to anyone.

Unfortunately, her kidneys failing put my grandmother in grave condition. She has been in CCU for 5 days now and the cardiologist came in today and said that they will never be able to operate on her because it would kill her. I left out that because her kidneys are failing that she was put on dialysis yesterday. Her body was building up with fluids and this was causing lots of problems. She could barely breath, it was messing with her memory, she was so sick! I couldn't hardly bare to see her in that condition. But because the dialysis is starting to work, she has been much more aware of her surroundings and was able to hold a conversation. The cardiologist thinks that maybe tomorrow they can take out the pump in her heart and place a feeding tube in her stomach so she can get some nourishment. But that is still up in the air. She has a really long way to go and the cardiologist has no idea how long it will take to get her out of CCU. He said it was touch and go and wait and see. Please pray for her!

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out but it is so late and I haven't hardly slept in the last 4 days. I hope this all makes sense. Thanks for listening! Please pray!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your weight loss so far. That is amazing for 3 months! I am a once a day weigher too, I never use to be, I use to only get on the scale once a week and now I have to weigh in everyday, sometimes it's not good but over all it helps keep me accountable and realize what foods cause me to bloat or gain.
    So sorry to hear about your grandma, will keep her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, this must be an incredibly emotional and stressful time. Your grandmother and your whole family will be in my prayers!

    Beth M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sarah and Beth, for the encouragement and all the prayers. She's still fighting and she definitely still needs your prayers.

    ReplyDelete