Monday, August 8, 2011

48 Days Post Op (Freedom)

Hi! Today I had my 6 week post op nutritional class and weigh in. I've lost a total of 45 lbs. since pre-op started. 

So the break down:
  • 280 lbs. the day I started my pre op diet
  • 255 lbs. the day of surgery (3.5 weeks of pre-op diet)
  • 245 lbs. two weeks after surgery
  • Stalled for almost 4 weeks (Ugh! Wanted to scream!)
  • 235 lbs. as of this morning (I lost 10 lbs. in one week. YaY!)
Does this surgery work? Sure it does but not without hard work on my part. And let me tell you, it hasn't been easy. Before surgery, I couldn't wait until I didn't feel hungry anymore. Well, I never thought that would be hard. Now, I have to remind myself to eat and then it's a game of "what do I want to eat that I've already had one hundred times in the last 2 weeks AND that I'm not really hungry for anyways." Ha! Now, I'm not complaining! It's just a huge adjustment.

The good news....freedom! Freedom to eat whatever I want! In my nutritional class today, I was told that there's not much that's off limits except for carbonated drinks, high calorie and sugar foods (in moderation of course), and celery. Mentally, this changes things for me! I'm thinking that maybe if I can have an open variety of foods that maybe my interest will pick up again. I'm hoping to enjoy food again soon. Not like I used to, of course, but instead, not dread my next meal. I think that my biggest problem is that I'm sick of the same old foods over and over again. That's hard! I was so excited when I was told today that life will start to get back to normal and I would still continue to lose weight. YaY again!

Exercise! Well, little has been happening here. I really want to but I have had a really bad hip since 1997 after an injury and it has only gotten worse over the years. I had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon this morning. And no, I don't have to have surgery yet! Thank you Lord! But he did take some x-rays and discovered that I have osteoarthritis. He is sending me to physical therapy for 4-6 weeks to help strengthen my muscles in my hips and to help with my weight loss. Of course, he feels that if I continue to lose weight, the pressure of all that extra weight will no longer be present and will help a good bit with some of the pain. He also prescribed Celebrex which was on my list of medications that a sleeved person could tolerate. When I presented that to my sleeve surgeon today, he said absolutely not! Huh!?!? He said that it would tear up my stomach and that it's not safe to take until I'm at least 6 months post op. He suggested I call my orthopedic doctor back and have him give me a shot of something that starts with a "T"....lol....I wrote it down but can't remember. Go figure! After speaking with my ortho-doc, the shot that was suggested will only last a day. Well, that's not going to work! Ha! So, I'm scheduled to go in on Wednesday for a cortosone (sp?) shot in the hip. Hopefully this will help. If you've ever had to have this done, will you tell me your experience? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and my 25 lb. weight restriction has been lifted and I'm free to do whatever exercise I please....if I can do something with this hip. Sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment