Friday, November 18, 2011

21 Weeks Post Op (Almost to "Onederland")

Good Morning! So sorry I didn't manage to get back on here yesterday morning. Things have been super crazy around here.

So,  I was hoping that I would be able to report this morning that I was now in onederland! No such luck! But I'm very close! I'm now weighing in at 200 lbs. This means that not only have I lost 80 lbs. so far but that I'm not even 5 months post op and have already passed up my 6 month goal which was to lose 50% of my excess weight (75 lbs.). Once again, I love my sleeve! It's not always easy and I do have to make an effort to eat and drink the right things but for some reason, not sure why, my sleeve makes things so much easier. 

On another subject, my blog friend, Roslyn asked me about my sweet tooth and if I had one. Yes, I do have one but now it's a lot different than it was before surgery. My whole appetite has changed. Most of the time I have to remind myself to eat. But I do have days or weeks were my hormones are all over the place or my hubby and son are indulging in those "oh, so delightful" sweets and I find myself wanting them like crazy. I don't refuse myself. I just make sure I don't over do it. A tiny little bowl of ice cream or a small bite of candy....you know, I just don't eat and eat like I used to AND I have no desire to now. It doesn't take much to satisfy my sweet tooth. In fact, if I over do it, it makes me feel like I've had 2 big bowls of ice cream and am going back for more....YES, nauseous!

I wanted to mention this because right at this very moment I have a pumpkin pie cooking in the oven that I'm taking to my grandma, mom, and brother...along with a roast, potatoes, onions, carrots, and rolls.....at the nursing home that my grandma is at. We're celebrating Thanksgiving tonight because we will be out of town on a vacation next week. Anyways, was I craving anything at all this morning except for my coffee? No! Now that I'm smelling the pumpkin pie, my mouth is watering. So, yes Roslyn, I do still have a sweet tooth. :(  Am I really hungry? No way! :(  It just smells so good and my head says that I need it. Ha! So, I do have lots of head hunger, too. You'll figure out as you go how to control what actually passes over your tongue. But don't worry about it if you have a little here and there....even naturally thin people do....AND now you have the tool to work around those cravings and not over indulge. You are normal and I don't think that having a sweet tooth makes your surgery a failure. I'm pretty sure that that's pretty normal and that a lot of post sleeve people deal with their own little devils when it comes to food. Just have a bite or two and then stop! I bet you will be totally satisfied....oh, and make sure to eat some dense protein before you do....this will probably take away your sweet craving completely. Most of the time, that works for me but sometimes nothing will overcome the sweet tooth and I just have to have it. It's okay and not the end of the world!

Have a blessed day! I'm not sure I will be posting anything next week because we will be out of town. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and I will jump back on here as soon as I can.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Penny,
    Firstly happy early thanksgiving! I was so relieved to read that you still have a bit of a sweet tooth and indulge from time to time in lollies and icecream, I used to be able to eat a whole tub but now a couple of table spoons fill me up. I dont feel hungry mch at all either but have to make myself eat to keep up my nutrition, I used to love water but cant stand the taste now so have to mix it with low jule cordial - puke! You are amazing me with your weight loss, keep striving for excellence, you are doing it!
    We have so much to be thankful for dont we.
    God bless you.
    - Roslyn, Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know how inspirational your posts are :) I am FINALLY after 21 months of dieting in twoderville :) I get my sleeve in 4 months, and hope to be around 250 at that time, I started at 397, , my all time highest weight, and am now 295.4 :D YAY!!! I hope to be in the 280's by december 16th, and I hope you get to onederland soon! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Roslyn! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and yes, we do have so much to be thankful for. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm not a wonderful water drinker either. It's not the taste or anything, just not good at it. Sometimes I had Crystal Light or Kellogg's Special K Protein Water (Strawberry-Kiwi...for 16.9 oz. of water you get 5 grams of protein....oh, it's a little packet of powder you add to your bottle of water), or I'll drink decaffeinated tea with some Sweet n' Low. God bless you, too! Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mikabelle! Hello! Wow! You ARE an inspiration to me! You've lost over 100 lbs. so far and that's without surgery. You go girl! I think once you have surgery, losing weight will get much easier. Don't get me wrong, there are struggles of a different kind but none like trying to lose weight on your own without any help and keep it off. You still have to make the right choices, of course, but you don't always have that empty pit feeling fighting you all the way. I'm so proud of you. Keep me posted! I can't wait to hear more about your success. Wow! And thank you for reading my blog and your compliments. It means a lot to me. Have a very blessed day and keep in touch. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! It's been hard, but when I made the decision to get surgery I wanted to make absolutely certain that I had done everything I could on my own first, and I think I have, I still have a bit to go, need to lose about 10 more pounds to meet my pre surgery goal but I know I can do it! With Inspirational stories like yours I am positive that my motivation will stay up!

    I was having an emo "I want to stuff things in my face" kind of day til I read your comment it just lifted me up. Thank you so much! <3
    ~
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Mikabella! You're so welcome! I can imagine how hard you've worked for that weight loss. I lost about 70 lbs. back in 1997 on my own and it was super hard...just to gain it all back and more. You have come so far and oh my goodness, 10 more lbs. to go. YOU CAN DO IT! All I have to say is WOW! I weighed 280 before surgery and had to lose at least 10 lbs. before surgery. I started a week and a half early and managed to lose 25 lbs. but it was SO hard and I had a lot of emotional meltdowns...just ask my hubby. Ha! But since surgery, losing weight has been a lot easier. I still have bad days were I don't want to follow the rules but for some reason, it's so much easier to just keep going and the weight just seems to keep coming off. And the way I eat now is more of a life change than a diet AND is much more tolerable...just has been hard to get used to. But I wouldn't change a thing.

    Hang in there! You don't have much further to go! And you are a true inspiration. You're surgeon has to be so proud of you and all your effort. There's not many that could go as far as you without help like the sleeve. KEEP ON KEEPING ON! I'm here cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete